posted 24 Dec 2010 15:52 by David Taylor
It's been a busy week now that I think of it:
My Servo, some nuts and bolts and spare gears for my servo arrived yesterday (See the updated Parts List). I'm only seen normal servo's before. These Micro Servos really are tiny. I'm amazed that this little thing is rated to 1.1kg of torque.
Anyway, I created a scale model of my servo and imported this into my TriRot model and noticed that I would have to make a little more space available than initially anticipated, but that's all sorted out now as well. Luckily I only need about 3 more millimetres on each side to protect the ESC's (Electronic Speed Controllers).
The next issue I noticed was that the hex nuts I ordered (You can't by these from a hardware store longer than 30mm - I need about 35mm ;-) only have thread on about 2 thirds of their length. I sorted this out by using some rubber fish-tank pipe (which seems to be just stiff enough) as a spacer. I'm hoping that this also provides some vibration dampening from the motors during flight. (I've noticed a couple of guys building tricopters and quadcopters that this seems to be a problem for the accelerometers and gyros.)
I've also been researching how to get some telemetry back from TriRot and monitor this once I try to liftoff for the first time.
To this I will be adding graphs to show output from the Gyro's and Acc's per channel.